Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The fastest flavor out there: With Team Specialized! Red Meat Included.

After Oregon came a trip with Team Specialized (only the fastest guys in North America, Max Plaxton and Todd Wells no big deal...).
It's pretty cool when you can say Pro XCT Leader Max Plaxton made you dinner.  If that's not flavor to go fast I don't know what is. He won the pro race the next day and I got third in the juniors and third overall expert (meaning $100!).
Simple clean cooking when resources are limited (rental house) and putting a ton of energy into cooking doesn't fit the bill with trying to focus on racing, but this was delicious anyways. Chicken Breast BBQ'd with Olive Oil, S & P, a Summer Salad of Romaine Lettuce/Mixed Greens, Mushrooms, Red Pepper, Avocado, and Strawberries dressed with basic but dialed Olive Oil, Lemon, S&P, and Mustard. And a baked Sweet Potato. I am definitely down with berries and mushrooms in summer salads now!
More Bungalow-To Go Munch Granola for Breakfast. Had to go with the water-protein powder combo for my binding agent, and since I didn't use a lot I went for a ton of berries which was quite delicious. More crunchy and fruity than usual and I didn't mind at all. Blackberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, and Banana for the win pre race (well, at least the 3rd)!

 The second night some friends from Minnesota BBQ'd Venison.  I'm introducing a slight shift to my diet after some knew knowledge. I'll eat red meat occasionally in moderation ONLY if it is free range grass fed etc.  I am digging an idea that was brought to my attention that the reason things like red meat, dairy, and egg yolks have unhealthy aspects is because of our unnatural farming techniques.  My basic healthy ways still apply to most conventional eating, but when there is all natural food available, things change. The main thing to take away is you are what you eat BUT also you are what IT eats.  Aka corn, pesticides, and medical injections as opposed to all natural grass. thank you Specialized Marketing Manager Sean Estes!
This meal fit that bill perfectly. Sean's friend Rich shot and gutted this deer himself. We had meat from the ass (literally labeled 'Big Ass' in a freezer bag) in a loin and some leg turned into Brats.  I had a little bit (moderation still key) and it was pretty good, yet i'm still not a massive fan of the red meat taste.  We all cooked a bit that night so had some more of a similar Summer Salad, a delicious Mexican Black Bean Salad which i'm definitely going to be making more of, Pico De Gallo, BBQ'd Aspargus, and Baked Sweet Potatoes.  The Cilantro-Onion-Lemon-Lime-Tomato combo for the black bean salad and Pico is bomb.

I'm starting this book to explore in detail this new idea to bring to healthy eating (Sean recommended).




3 comments:

  1. I've had the same thoughts about red meat, but I ultimately decided to continue not eating it because I actually am not particularly drawn to it. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah im not obsessed with the taste and it will be rare that I conveniently come across super natural free range grass fed meat but when it does come around its nice to be flexible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the third place finish! That's awesome. I love the protein powder + water combo to bind granola and cereals...definitely a favorite I eat almost daily.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...